When vacationing in different areas, it’s always fun to “do as the locals do” and eating is no exception. Every region has their favorite dishes and to experience the true culture of an area, tasting their delicious food is a must-do!
The Florida Keys have their own regional dishes that are not only popular with the locals, but also have the tourists flocking to the hot spots that serve them and begging for more. Here are some of the most popular dishes in the Keys that you simply must try during your luxury vacation in the South Florida.
5 Most Popular Foods in the Florida Keys
- Key Lime Pie – This Island favorite is so popular that it is the official pie of the state of Florida. There is also an annual Key Lime Pie Festival to celebrate the tasty dessert.
- Stone Crab – Florida stone crab is a delicious treat served in the Florida Keys. The hard-shelled claws are actually one of the most sustainable crab dishes since the claw can be removed without killing it in the process. The sweet meat is served chilled for the best flavor.
- Key West Pink Shrimp – Popular for their sweet, tender meat, Key West Pink Shrimp are easily identified due to their bright pink coloring when raw. They are typically served as peel and eat dishes and are truly divine as an appetizer or meal in the Florida Keys.
- Conch Fritters – Key West, also known as the Conch Republic, actually gets its nickname from this popular shellfish. Found in Florida and the Caribbean, conch can be prepared several ways, but the most popular dish is conch fritters, a fried concoction of conch and batter that is an Island favorite.
- Hogfish – Being surrounded by water makes the Keys a popular place for seafood. One of the most popular is hogfish. Known for their flaky texture and sweet taste, hogfish is a favorite of Islanders in the Florida Keys.
KeysCaribbean Luxury Vacation Rentals are the Best Place to Stay in the Florida Keys
At KeysCaribbean, your luxury accommodations await for an amazing vacation in the Florida Keys. From well-appointed seaside bungalows to private vacation homes in the South Florida, you are sure to be pleased when you arrive at your Florida Keys vacation rental home from KeysCaribbean.