Of the many wonderful things about taking a vacation, experiencing the way the locals live and the lifestyle they enjoy really lets you get to know an area and its culture. Food is an important part of any region’s culture, as is the specific way it is prepared.
You can get to know the people and places of the Florida Keys by tasting their region dishes, which always becomes a favorite of the many visitors to the Islands. The popular ingredients in the dishes in the Keys reflect a variety of cultural influences including those from our Spanish, Bahamian, Caribbean, and American friends. Since commercial fishing is one of the largest industries in the Islands, our local menus also include an abundance of fresh seafood.
Whether you choose to try your hand at making these local delicacies in the kitchen of your vacation villa in Islamorada, at a popular restaurant in the Florida Keys, or have them specially prepared for you by a local chef in your luxury Florida Keys vacation rental home, you are guaranteed to love every bite!
When you plan a luxury vacation in the Florida Keys, you will definitely be tempted by these local favorites!
Eating Local in the Florida Keys
- Key Lime Pie – The official Florida State Pie, Key Lime is probably the most common item on restaurants throughout the Islands, where its Key West roots have been traced back to the early 20th century. No trip is complete without a slice of Key Lime Pie.
- Conch – Whether you like your conch in fritters as most locals do, or cracked on top of a fresh salad, you will find many dishes made from this popular Key West favorite. Pronounced KONK, the large sea snails and the Queen Conch is the namesake of the Florida Keys Conch Republic.
- Spiny Lobster – Unlike their Northern counterparts, the Spiny Lobsters of the Florida Keys don’t have claws, but instead are coveted for their sweet and tender tail meat. Lobster season runs from August. 6 to March 31, when local restaurants serve them steamed or boiled with melted butter.
- Key West Pink Shrimp – Almost 80% of the nation’s supply of Key West Pink Shrimp comes from the Gulf of Mexico, where they develop their distinctive pink color. The Pink shrimp are tender and sweet and popular with locals.
- Stone Crabs – Known for their sweet, succulent meat claw, Stone Crabs are a popular delicacy in the Keys. In fact, the Florida Keys are responsible for nearly all the state’s stone crab claw harvest.
Plan Your Escape to the Florida Keys Today!
If hearing about all of these wonderful flavors has you ready for a vacation in the Florida Keys, we can’t blame you. Contact the experienced travel planning team at KeysCaribbean for the perfect luxury vacation villa, waterfront condo, or amazing private vacation home in the Florida Keys. Contact us at (305) 853-5000 or online here today!