Tips for Snowbirds & Annual Boaters During High Boating Season
KeysCaribbean- places to stay in the Keys:
The Upper Keys:
In Key Largo and Islamorada, where KeysCaribbean Luxury Resorts & Marinas has two exclusive locations, Mariners Resor t Villas & Marina and the Historic Tavernier Inn
- Do annual maintenance. Make sure your maintenance is up to date. The manufacturer’s recommendation is to service the engine “at 100 hours or annually, whichever comes first” whether you do it yourself or take it to a dealer or service shop.
- Inspect the water pump. If the pump has dried out or the impeller has disintegrated or is broken, the next time you run it may cause severe damage. It is recommended to start every (boating) season with a new one.
The Middle Keys:
In the Middle Keys, KeysCaribbean Luxury Resorts & Marinas has the Village at Hawks Cay Villas on Duck Key, Indigo Reef Resort Villas & Marina and the Coral Lagoon Resort Villas & Marina vacation rentals in Marathon
- Check the fuel filter. If sitting unused for three months or longer, today’s ethanol-enhanced fuel can precipitate out water. Remove the filter and pour some fuel into a cup to inspect it. Remove any water from your tank and change the filter.
- Top off the batteries. Use distilled water, not tap water. Sun and heat in the south can evaporate water in the batteries quickly. Clean and tighten all terminals. Start your engine and let it warm up to be sure it has a good charge before leaving the boat ramp or dock.
The Lower Keys:
In the Lower Keys, KeysCaribbean Luxury Resorts & Marinas has the Coral Hammock Resort Villas and Kings Point Marina & Condominiums vacation rentals
- Maintain your trailer. Avoid a blowout from an under inflated tire, by checking the tire pressure. Re-grease the hubs or buddy bearings annually. Remember to put the drain plug back in before launching it on the water.
- Inspect your life saving equipment. Inspect and/or replace any expired flares, fire extinguishers, damaged life jackets. Keep plenty of PFD’s on board, including extras for guests and sizes that can fit children.
These are some of my favorite experiences this week in the Florida Keys. If you’re coming down to visit and stay with us at the KeysCaribbean Luxury Resorts & Marinas in our vacation rentals, share your favorite experiences with us in the comments section of our blog…
Visit our blog next Thursday with updated experiences in the Florida Keys…